Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thesaurus

Is it a book, or a dinosaur? Turns out it is a book. One that I wish people would use more frequently. I've become so disinterested with using the same words. Do you know how often I say, "awesome" or "amazing"? Probably somewhere in the vicinity of twenty times a day. I know that words go through phases, especially slang. No one has referred to me as "bird" or "doll" in...ever, actually, and that makes me sorrowful. That being the case, I took a few minutes to look up synonyms for "awesome" and "amazing" so that I can diversify my exclamations of glee.

Brilliant Outstanding Incredible
Marvelous Far-out Singular
Capital Fab Magnificent
First-class Swell Outstanding
Superior Super Tip-top
Quality Splendid First-rate
Ace Champion Gnarly
Banner Rad Wizard
Divine Wicked Tubular
Bodacious Righteous Sensational
Glorious Impressive Wondrous
Striking Remarkable Dandy
Crackerjack Nifty Stellar
Groovy Exceptional Out of sight

Depending on how you define a "word" there are between 170,000 and 210,000 of them in existence. The average person will never use more than 20,000 of them. Isn't that awful?

0 comments: