Thursday, May 22, 2008

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Indy 4

I should be getting ready for work right now but instead I think I will risk being late, again, in order to write my reaction towards this film.

I went to the midnight showing with 4 of my friends and we arrived an hour early, even though we had already purchased our tickets, just as a precaution, and I'm glad we did. Our theater was packed by curtain-up the previews were quite enjoyable (Eagle Eye, The Dark Knight, Kung Fu Panda).

I think I am less excited by this movie than I was by Iron Man but not by a wide margin. I really enjoyed Indy 4 and I think it was definitely, at the very least, as good as the original three but something was a little off and I still haven't figured out what it is. The story line was sci-fi which totally threw me off and I found myself constantly making comparisons to the Stargate SG-1 episode 'Crystal Skull', mainly because they are about the same crystal skull. The dialogue was scarily near  'campy' after the crystall skull's ziggurat was destroyed but if we really think about it, Indy's dialogue was campy back in the '80s too. I also noticed that at one point, when Indy and Mutt are in the scary, dark graveyard looking for the skull, the music reminded me more of Harry Potter than Indiana Jones. Although, that sort of music similarity is bound to happen when the music to both series is composed by John Williams.

This movie really was classic Indiana Jones. It had Indy goofing up, jumping from moving vehicle to moving vehicle, overcoming impossible situations, solving riddles, being irrationally scared of snakes and helping old friends. Oh and surprise! Mutt is really Henry Jones III?  What?! Go on...oh wait, we already knew that was coming. And towards the end of the film, the wind blows Indy's fedora to Mutt's feet ,at which point I freaked out because I'd already heard George Lucas' idea to have a 5th Indy flick with Mutt as the main character and Indy as a Sean Connery type, but I was able to breath a small sigh of relief as Indy snatched the hat out of Mutt's hands because he was able to put it on.

Anyway, I really like the movie, I wasn't disappointed and it was great seeing Harrison Ford back as an appropriately aged Professor Henry Jones.

Indy 4 2

0 comments: