Friday, May 2, 2008

Iron Man

Ok. So. I'm pretty sure that everyone else was just as mad as I was after staying awake all night and waiting in lines for hours just to be slapped in the face by the pile of dung often referred to as Spider-Man 3. And then Hulk happened which just...well...it hurt my heart. And I know that Fantastic Four, and it's craptastic follow-up, Silver Surfer, did nothing to assuage anyone's anguish. After this series of devastatingly poor comic book adaptations, I found myself rocking back-and-forth in the fetal position wondering why the hell these films didn't turn out more like Batman Begins.

When I heard about Iron Man, my initial reactions was terror. I was terrified that Mark Fergus and Jon Favreau would ruin Iron Man and add him to the list of heroes that have been emasculated on the big screen. But then...I went and saw it....and it was good. Scratch that, it was great! It was well written, well cast, AND well performed. Triple threat alert! Robert Downey Jr. was simply brilliant. He brought everything about Tony Stark to life, from his simple genius to his sarcastic wit. The suit...oh the suit. It was glorious! Iron Man definitely re-established that when one uses the astounding film technology that is currently available, appropriately, one can kick ASS! I also liked the fact that there was only one villain present...*glares at Spider-Mans 2 & 3*...which meant that there was ample character development for both Stark and Stane.

I just...I don't wanna talk about it anymore. I don't typically tell people what to do or think but that being said...go see it. And Place it at #2 on your list of comic book adaptations, right underneath Batman Begins, and get psyched for this summer to see where The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight fall into place.

Iron Man

0 comments: